Ever since mid-fall, I’ve seen countless (and I mean countless) posts about how 2016 can be over any minute now, spotted posts about how horrible 2016 has been. While yes, there have been many horrific events that have occurred in 2016, do not forget that sadly, there are heartbreaking incidents that take place every single year. It is so easy to let something bad ruin something so good. But, we must let the good outweigh the bad. While many people are posting about how much they hated 2016, I decided to do a little research and see what good has come from 2016. Here is what I learned:
- Tigers are rising in number. Also, giant pandas and manatees have both been taken off the endangered species list. And, to top it off, an international agreement ended ALL legal trade of pangolins. These are the most trafficked animal, hunted for their scales which are used in Chinese medicine and delicacy meat….However, no longer!
- Nations unite to create the world’s largest marine reserve in Antarctica. Here, they are designating 600,000 square miles as a zone protected from harmful human activity (2x the area of Texas) In 2017, let’s strive for more areas to be protected!!!!!
- 2016 was one of the safest years in aviation history. Worldwide, there were 325 deaths. While this seems like quite a bit, that equates to 1 in every 10,769,230 travelers….Which is definitely something to be celebrated.
- Colombia’s 50-year war has finally come to an end. Colombian president (Juan Santos) and leader of the revolutionary armed forces of Colombia (Rodrigo Londoño) signed a peace treaty to end more than 50 years of war between the rebels and the state. This war that began in 1964, has cost more than 220,000 lives and displaced almost 7 million people. Praise be to God for the end of a war!!!!!
- American teen graduation rate reached a historic high in the year of 2016. As a nation, 83.2% of students graduated. One step closer to a desirable 100%.
- US treasury announced major changes arriving on American currency. One of the changes includes Harriet Tubman replacing Andrew Jackson on the front of the $20 bill. Girl power!!!!
- In 2016, America had more trees growing than any time since the 1920s. So, let’s be mindful of paper, napkins, paper towels, etc. Reycle. Reycle. Reycle. Remember, we need trees!!!
- After 22 years of fighting this disease, the Americas are finally entirely measle-free! This makes the Americas the first region in the world to have eliminated measles! Woo-hoo!!
- The National Park Service turned 100 years old on August 25th; celebrating all 413 parks, battlefields, historic sites, monuments, preserves, parkways, and reserves. All of which cover more than 84 million acres.
And, my personal favorite,
- India planted nearly 50 million trees IN ONE DAY. The previous record was 850,000 trees planted in Pakistan in 2013. Picture this; 800,000 Indian volunteers getting together and planting 49.3 million trees. AMAZING. I encourage everyone to make more records like this, instead of who can eat the hottest wing, or chew a piece of gum the longest. Let’s make goals to strive, not just have 30 seconds of fame.
It’s up to you to have a great 2017. Talking about our problems is our greatest addiction. Break the habit. Talk about our joys. Every day may not be good, but make sure you try and find something good in each and every day. I promise your outlook on life will be completely different.
“Someone fell in love today. Someone was born today. Someone lived through something that could have killed them. Someone won back the love of their life. Someone made their parents proud. Someone survived. Someone healed. Someone let go.
Seven billion people, and some of us have just had the best day of their lives. Today may have been the very worst day of yours. But take solace and celebrate this simple fact. It wasn’t your best day today, but it is on it’s way, because we all get lucky in turn.” -Nikita Gill